Product Support Specialist
OpenMind is a rapidly growing non-profit EdTech startup that works at the intersection of behavioral science and technology to address polarization and social conflict. We translate the best social science research into tools that are engaging, evidence-based, and scalable in order to equip people with the skills to think clearly and communicate constructively across differences.
OpenMind was co-founded by the social psychologist Jonathan Haidt, the author of the bestselling books The Righteous Mind and The Coddling of the American Mind. Since launching in 2017, our online program has reached more than 20,000 people in more than 400 classrooms, as well as 50 organizations and companies, across almost 40 countries.
About the Role
OpenMind works with universities, companies, and organizations around the world. We offer solutions to address rising polarization and divisions within groups and organizations. The Product Support Specialist will be a key player in the development of new products, features, and in assuring the quality and usability of our online platform. They will also be the main point of contact to guide users through troubleshooting technical issues, coordinating research studies, and answering any other questions that arise about using our tools.
This is a part-time role with the possibility of converting to full-time. We’re hoping that you will take on more responsibilities and gain additional skills on the job. In particular, as the Product Support Specialist, we would hope to train you to be proficient in the coding language that we use called GuidedTrack. In time, we would be eager for you to take on more complex coding assignments to further contribute to our product development.
- Manage customer support:
- Reply to OpenMind users (and instructors) to troubleshoot technical problems.
- Develop FAQs for technical support activities.
- Document support activities, user issues and resolutions for reference purposes.
- Work with the Product team to evaluate complex problems, identify root causes and design solutions.
- Support product development: QA and testing
- Lead the end-to-end quality assurance and testing of new products and features before launch.
- Review and label user feedback in real time.
- Analyze user suggestions and recommend product revisions.
- Contribute to platform updates and new product releases by taking on increasingly complex coding tasks.
- Manage our inbound email account:
- Reply to questions and inquiries.
- Escalate high-importance emails to appropriate team members.
- Coordinate research studies:
- Write instructions for users and (instructors), monitor progress, and troubleshoot issues.
- Work with the Research and Product teams to design the best product and experience for users in research conditions.
In addition to the above, the ideal candidate can assist with the diverse needs of the organization as they arise. Successful performance in this role may lead to a full-time position.
The Position Offers
Competitive pay: $16-22/hour, depending on level of experience.
Flexibility: Work remotely from anywhere, with flexible hours; perfect for combining with schoolwork or another part-time job.
Impact: Use your skills to amplify OpenMind’s impact by bringing an evidence-based intervention to thousands of users per month.
Team: Work with a driven team that has experience across the private sector, nonprofits, and academia.
Available at least 15 hours/week: We expect that the role will initially require more hours for training, but then the number of hours will depend on user activity and QA needs. This role has the opportunity to convert to a full-time position.
Available during standard working hours and some evening hours: We expect you to respond to user issues in a timely fashion.
Remote work: You can work remotely from anywhere.
Relevant Experience and Mindset
- Prior experience is preferred but not required in the following areas: software and web application testing, QA, customer support, or program coordination.
- An inclination toward technology and a desire to upskill as part of this role.
- Demonstrates a high degree of tact, judgment, and discretion.
- Able to learn quickly and work independently.
- Thrives in a fast-paced work environment.
- Demonstrates a “can do” attitude.
- Mission-aligned (to leverage behavioral science to equip people with skills to think clearly and communicate constructively across differences).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.