Note: This role was previously posted as a Curriculum Developer position. If you have applied for the Curriculum Developer role, then your application will already be considered for the Instructional Designer role and there is no need to re-apply.
OpenMind is a rapidly growing non-profit EdTech startup that works at the intersection of behavioral science and technology to address polarization and social conflict. We translate the best social science research into tools that are engaging, evidence-based, and scalable in order to foster openness to diverse perspectives and equip people with the skills for constructive dialogue.
OpenMind was co-founded by the social psychologist Jonathan Haidt, the author of the bestselling books The Righteous Mind and The Coddling of the American Mind. Since launching in 2017, our online program has reached more than 30,000 people in more than 500 classrooms, as well as 50 organizations and companies, across more than 15 countries.
About the Role
OpenMind is embarking on a new phase of product development where we are adapting our existing product into an expanded set of blended learning experiences focused on enduring behavior/culture change. The Instructional Designer will play a critical role in this process by working collaboratively within our Product team to create a version of our product for a corporate audience. We are looking for a creative, dynamic, and fast-learning Instructional Designer who has deep knowledge of educational design principles and a knack for designing engaging content. The Instructional Designer must have experience designing learning for the corporate environment and be able to create materials and exercises that are relevant and compelling for this audience. You will have the opportunity to work on multiple workstreams, flex your creative muscles, and have a significant social impact.
- You will serve as the lead on adapting our product for corporate audiences. This will be done in collaboration with our lead Curriculum Developer to ensure the corporate version is aligned with our overall product strategy.
- You will offer thought leadership in regards to corporate learning and use those insights to adapt the content as appropriate to create highly practical and engaging learning experiences.
- You will be responsible for designing short in-person exercises that correspond to each online module and serve the function of deepening practice and helping users form positive habits of heart and mind.
- You will also be responsible for modifying other support materials for leaders that teach them how to effectively facilitate and lead their teams through the content.
- You will work closely with the team to develop engaging in-person workshops for corporate audiences. The workshops will focus on delivering behavioral science insights in an accessible format with a heavy emphasis on interactive activities and practical application.
- 5-7 years of experience in instructional design or curriculum development.
- Prior experience working in learning and development in a corporate setting.
- Ability to synthesize behavioral science research and translate complex concepts into engaging and practical content.
- Ability to write effectively for a corporate audience and understand general corporate learner needs and preferences.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with a cross-functional team to deliver products.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Incredibly well-organized with a strong track record of working on multiple workstreams.
- Deep and demonstrated knowledge of learning design principles and adult learning theories.
- Prior experience in digital instructional design is preferred but not required.
- You are mission-aligned and passionate about translating behavioral science research into effective behavior change interventions.
- You are proactive and a self-starter. You can work well independently, troubleshoot problems as they arise, and you are willing to go the extra mile.
- You are a people-person. You treat others with respect and you’re a team player.
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit. You thrive in a fast-paced work environment, you are comfortable with ambiguity, and you are able to adapt to new circumstances.
- You are intellectually humble and resilient. You are comfortable having your ideas challenged, you respond well to feedback, and you view setbacks as an opportunity to learn and try something new.
- You hold yourself to high standards of excellence. You are detail-oriented and have excellent organizational and time-management skills.
Start Date: Immediate
Status: Part-Time, Contract Position
Deadline: We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis.